Friday, September 24, 2010

TRUE Grit

It seems the theme of the blog this week has been about perspective, and today is no different.

I have gained a new respect for an entire generation of women who sat by their mailboxes anxiously awaiting word from their husbands/boyfriends who were off to war.

My girlfriend has landed herself in Afghanistan as a part of her job as a reporter to keep Canadians abreast of developments with our troops and what is going on in the region in general.  This is her 4th “tour of duty” in Afghanistan… my second being home while she is in a war zone.

The first time around, I have to admit, was not good on my nerves.  Until that point I had never had anyone in my life who was placed “in harm’s way” through a job.

Let me be perfectly clear here for just a second.  I say “in harm’s way” and immediately you get pictures of her carrying a gun and going “Rambo” on the bad guys.  (You will recall that I have openly admitted to having a flair for the dramatic.) While I have seen her angry, and this blog may put her in this state, she is NOT on the front lines.  She is NOT doing the fighting.  She is merely reporting, as hundreds of other journalists have done in years past, and doing so with the most protection that can be afforded anyone.  Moving on... 

I had no idea what to expect.  I watched the 24 hour news channel almost exclusively for her first 5 week tour, not only to see her at work, but to give me the extra comfort of knowing she was safe.  She stayed in touch with me in emails and called wherever she could, probably fully aware that I was a little nervous since this was all so new.  That contact was very comforting to me and it was greatly appreciated. (Even if she wasn’t COMPLETELY forthcoming with certain details about a particular rocket attack that Canada’s Minister of Defense was subjected to.)

This time around I’m not even close to as nervous as I was previously.  I KNOW she is being careful and safe.  She stays in close contact with me…it’s just like it is if she were at her normal posting. Contact is the same... everything is copasetic.  No complaints at all.

And then I saw a little clip on the History Channel about World War I.  I didn’t stay with it long, but seeing those old black and white clips got me thinking about how difficult it was for the wives of the brave soldiers who went overseas to fight; about how they had so few options to stay in contact with their loved ones.  Moreover it highlighted how very easy I have it.

No e-mail, Skype, Instant Messenger, or 24 hour news networks.  These women waited at home and took on the jobs the men left behind, all the while waiting for letters from their loves, and praying that they didn’t receive “THAT” letter.

Knowing how much my brain wanders when left to its own devices, I can say without a doubt that I would have required hospitalization in a mental ward if I were dealing with this at that time.  (Some think that I need that type of treatment now… again…I digress.)

The fear of the unknown is a powerful thing. What these women endured mentally and emotionally, while maintaining homes, raising children and running the factories that supplied the war effort is beyond my comprehension.  It is the benchmark of strength and resolve I can only hope to achieve for myself.

 If you have grandmothers who lived through this… and you haven’t done so already… ask them to tell you about it (if it isn’t too painful) and take note of just how strong they really are. 

And pray that you won’t ever have to be tested the way they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment