Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Does this guy ever stop?

Today’s blog entry came to me in a dream.

In between fighting super-villains alongside the likes of Thor, Captain America and Iron Man (Yes, even in my dreams I am a geek… a geek with super powers, but a geek nonetheless) and being a Pro Wrestler (I love wrestling and am not ashamed to admit it), I saw a woman in amongst all the confusion and commotion, oblivious to the chaos that surrounded her, looking at me. 

Not just looking at me either.  Examining me is more like it.  With debris and bodies flying all around her, those eyes peered into my soul.  Suddenly, everything in the dream slowed to a halt.  (Very INCEPTION like… it should come to absolutely no one’s surprise that I just saw that movie three days ago) She smiled and didn’t take her eyes off of me while she said in a soft, almost purring voice.

“You would tell anyone, EVERYTHING wouldn’t you?”

I turned away for a moment to ponder those words that were ringing in my ears, and when I looked back to respond, she had disappeared.

 The dreamscape resumed. While I did manage to defeat Thanos, with some assistance from my Marvel friends and I did happen to retain the Tag Titles with my partner (because I am all about tying up loose ends and I KNOW you are all wanting closure on that aspect of this story), those words continue to linger.  

So here I am at 6:18 am, writing another blog entry because…well… because she is absolutely right.

It’s always been a bit of a conundrum for me.  By sharing even the most ridiculous details of my life with whoever enquired, I felt that I was giving the impression that I have nothing to hide, because… well because I don’t hide ANYTHING.  Those Facebook surveys that ask you 25 questions about yourself or were IMPOSSIBLE for me to ignore and HAD to be completed to avoid a collapse in the Universe as we knew it. (Or so it must have seemed to others, I did so many) 

I have tried to convince myself that people appreciate this part of me because there are no secrets, no questions about my motives.  (Whatever lets me get to sleep at night, right?)

Of course, there are other times when folks wish I would have an “edit” button in my brain.  A “still small voice” that would say, “You know what, Raymond?   Perhaps… just perhaps… you should keep this to yourself.  It might be safer for all involved.”

Truth be told, had I kept my mouth shut, on NUMEROUS occasions in the past I probably would have been able to avoid heartache, hardship, embarrassment and regret more times than I care to count.  Then again, would I be the man I am now if I did “zip it”?  Would I be better?

So now… whether you are interested or not, I’m going to share one of those little surveys in an effort to let you know a little more about me.  Let’s face it… what the hell is a blog for without a little shameless self-promotion?

25 THINGS ABOUT ME

1.My daughter, Taylor is the best thing my name has ever been attached to.
2. I was an atheist turned Mormon...but my disgust over the behaviour of the church during Proposition 8 in California was the final straw for me.  Now it's my firm belief that religion does far more harm than good.
3. I have suffered humiliation that no person should ever have to...at the hands of people I called friends.
4. I've wanted to be a father since I was 21
5. I LOVE acting and at times wished I pursued it
6. I have a half written screenplay that I would love to submit for a movie someday
7. I think we learn far more from failure than success.
8. I am friends with all kinds of people.  A wider array of folks you could never find.
9. I am far too extreme for my own good.  I know not where this "middle ground" everyone talks about, is.
10. I'd love to skydive or bungee jump in my life
11. I MUST travel more in my life and hope that my daughter will catch the "travel bug" to experience the world herself.
12. I fear that I will die without making a difference in the world.
13. I wish I could play an instrument of some sort.  If ROCKBAND has taught me anything it is that I was BORN to be in a band
14. I LOVE wrestling and am not afraid to admit it.
15. I have a healthy disgust for politicians.  The more I learn, the more I despise them.
16. I wanted to be a professional basketball player in high school
17. I don't floss nearly as much as I should.
18. I LOVE big dogs.   The bigger the better.
19. Fear makes far too many decisions in my life.
20. The greatest trip I have ever been on was an African Safari, which has ruined me for Zoos.
21. I still beleive in the institution of marriage, despite my failing, and hope to be married again some day.
22. I still watch cartoons... mostly with superheroes
23. I love to cook, but worry that I am gonna screw up the meal and that my guests won't like it.
24. I hope to save a life before I die.
25. I have 4 tattoos and would like to get a couple more before I am done.

If you are looking at this list and say “This is all fluff.  We don’t find out about the REAL Raymond with any of this”, have no fear.   I am sure that you will find out FAR more about me in the weeks and months to come.  

After all… I would tell anyone, everything.

Do you “share too much”?  Do your friends wish you had a mute button in that brain of yours?  Drop me a line and let me know… better yet; take some time to fill out the survey and share it.  Or if you would prefer, keep things to yourself. 

3 comments:

  1. Webster Dictionary's 2008 word of the year was "overshare" (and no, I'm not accusing you of that). Technology has brought us to a place where, alone with our computers, we write what we might not otherwise speak, were we with a group of people. I think that's a great thing.

    Good luck with your blog, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atheist turned Mormon? Wow, what a jump THAT must have been! As for watching cartoons, "Ah say, Ah say there boy" from Foghorn Leghorn beats superheroes.
    What's your screenplay about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well as one of the 25 statements showed... I am a man of extremes. And I dont think they get much more extreme than going from an atheist to Mormon.

    I also love Foghorn Leghorn... one of my favorites.

    My screenplay is kind of a comedic/horror flick. Something that harkened back to the days when the Horror shows made ya laugh as well. Beyond that... I am going to keep the details to myself until I get it flushed out.

    ReplyDelete