Monday, September 13, 2010

It Hardly Pays To Dream

So I've always been asked why I don't get into a business of some sort. Some people think I would be good at it and while it always intrigued me somewhat to think that I could be my own boss, something about being an entrepreneur spooked me... but I could never put a finger on it.

Today I know what that fear is.

I called a potential client today who was VERY interested in radio marketing for a new store she was opening in our tiny little town. It was to be a consignment store featuring women's clothing and trendy top name brand clothes for teens. (You'll notice that I am using the past tense in that sentence... while it may be a bit premature to do so, I think it is appropriate, but more on that later)

In my first meeting with her you could see the excitement and passion in her eyes, for the adventure she was about to embark on. She had done the market research, contacted dealers on the West coast and in the United States, formulated a strong business plan and made the obligatory huge investments of their savings to see this to fruition. Clearly she knew what she wanted and knew the path to take on how to get there.

She took a look at the marketing plan I devised for her and saw that it was sound and would get her the response she needed. She took the information home for the weekend to ponder it, but said to call on Monday morning and we could "get the ball rolling"

From the moment I spoke to her on the follow up call I knew something was a little off.

"Someone broke into the store, Raymond... they wiped out TONS of my teen clothes. I don't even know if I am going to open the store anymore."

I was shocked. This store had not even OPENED yet. They were still doing renovations to prepare this location, for crying out loud. Unfortunately, because of that fact, there were no security measures in place other than locking the doors up. "Who needs security when you are doing renovations?" she said. "It was on our list of things to do, but I wanted to get the Teen room designed and finished first."

While the investigation is underway I am not going to say anymore because it IS my hope that the people responsible are caught, but even if they are... the damage has been done.

I've had the chance to speak with a number of store owners in my community who have been targeted by thieves in the past... and while some may get the product back, and insurance may cover losses otherwise... something greater than money or clothing or jewelry has been stolen in each and every case.

That entrepreneurial spirit. The desire to be your own boss. The dream of doing something rewarding for yourself and your family that will also make the community you live in a better place to be. It isn't a total loss though. Each thief leaves behind anger, mistrust, skepticism, increased insurance costs, and sadness to replace those dreams.

Some store owners will is strong and they fight on... with increased security, triple bolted doors and bars on the windows, but they continue on none the less.

I don't have that in me. Sure I have a fighting spirit and have survived plenty of tough times. However, I haven't had a dream stolen along with a portion of my life savings, to boot. I just don't think I could bear to have that tone in my voice.

Sucker punched before the damn bell even rings.

(Let me wish this owner good luck and share my hope that she will continue on despite the losses. They stole your product... don't let them steal the passion too. As for the thieves... a special wish. That at some point, when you are trying to achieve a dream you have held...when you are trying to get ahead in this world...that someone is kind enough to teach you this very lesson you have so callously shared with this woman. Perhaps then you will "get it".)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is shady, cowardly and disgusting. I hope that things work out well for this lady. If so, please do a follow up blog.

    Speaking of, this was well written and passionate. I look forward to reading your future posts. I just hope that you are able to find happier things to blog about.

    B

    ReplyDelete