Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ode to Friday

I have always fancied myself as a bit of a poet. (It’s comes part and parcel with being the "Hopeless Romantic" I am) From a very young age, I would put pen to paper and find express my feelings in rhyme... and then I learned that poetry doesn’t HAVE to rhyme and the flood gates opened.  I lost a great deal of what I wrote as a young man during several moveswhich, perhaps, is for the best. I would hate to have to look back at the train wreck of a kid I was and see how tumultuous and dramatized I made those days out to be.
None the less I have never lost the habit of writing poetry...sometimes I like to make people laugh with it... especially when writing Haiku.
The Japanese poetry form is traditionally used to describe nature in some form or another.  I always associated peaceful relaxing words that described the beauty in the world around us... and then I got bored with it one day and started getting goofy.  For instance one of my favourite Haikus is on Canadian Men’s Curling Championships on TV

The Brier is on
Men sweeping and screaming “HARD!”
Someone get my gun...

I wrote a Haiku earlier today in my Facebook status to celebrate the arrival of Friday... but sometimes happiness for a particular subject requires a little more elaboration than the friendly confines of 5-7-5 syllable poems can provide.  Hence... an ODE TO FRIDAY

Friday, dear Friday, how we love you
You give us a chance to say to work **** YOU!
The eve of our weekend finally arrives
To brighten our dull and dreary lives
Monday’s are grim, Tuesday’s a bore
Wednesday’s the hump, on Thursday we’re sore
But Fridays bring joy and dreams of rest
And that is why we like you the best.
We meet at the pub and raise a glass
And tell the world to kiss our ass!
Yes Friday to all is truly a Godsend...
What?... Oh no... I HAVE TO WORK THIS WEEKEND!

Ok so it’s not the greatest poem you ever read... what the hell do I look like, Edgar Alan Poe?  Sheesh... everyone’s a critic!  Guess I will have to stick to my Haikus.
Here’s wishing everyone a safe and happy weekend wherever you are...

No comments:

Post a Comment