Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Frightful Halloween Tale

One particularily busy Halloween night, I answered the door to find to young lads probably about a year or two older then the norm to see out Trick or Treating.

One had dressed up like Dracula and while he was a little older, I don't mind handing out the candy when the effort is made. 

His partner was a completely different story.

Standing there in what he was likely to be wearing any normal school day, he had his pillow case out and said "Trick or Treat".

I asked him flat out..."What the heck are you supposed to be?"   His buddy laughed, as I am sure it wasn't the only time he had heard the question a few dozen times on the night.

"I'm a rap gangsta." he says, and flashes me a gang sign and snickers to himself.

"Oh really?", I reply.  "Where is your high tops, your basketball jersey and cap twisted to the side?  Where are the jeans, half falling off your ass or the fake 9mm you're gonna use to bust a cap in my ass if I don't hand over the goodies?"

They both laughed out loud until there came an awkward silence when they realized I wanted an answer.

"Can you gonna give me some candy man?

And in one statement his costume was finally revealed to me.

"You aren`t a rap gangsta.  You are dressed up like a BUM.  A regular beggar on the street who begs for food from people".  Laughter once more.

"What's so funny?  There's nothing great about posing as a beggar.  Homeless people and beggars have nothing and need the charity of others to LIVE... not just get a bloody sugar fix."

I grow weary of seeing this kid and decide to take drastic measures.

"Look I don't give candy to anyone who can't bother to get dressed up unless they are willing to work for it."

His eyes got big as the snow had just fallen and I hadn't had the chance to shovel the walk just yet.  "I'm not shovelling the walk for you if that's what you want."

"A fantastic idea, but no.  Drop and give me 20."

A crowd of other children, who had gatherered to watch the proceedings began laughing. 

"You cant be serious.  You want me to do 20 push-ups?" he said incredulously. "It's the only way you are getting your candy.", I deadpanned.

And so he dropped and proceeded the excercise.  "Help him count them out guys." I encouraged the crowd.  The happily obliged.

At the conclusion of the excercise I handed him a couple of peices of candy and slightely embarrassed he and his buddy walked off.  Some of the other kids asked right away if I was gonna make EVERYONE do push-ups.  I laughed and said "No...", speaking up loud enough for the two leaving to hear, "I only make kids who are too old to bother get dressed up for Halloween do push-ups...unless of course you want to do them on your own."  Some of them volunteered.  They got extra.

Happily, I did not get my home egged or the trees toilet papered that evening as payback...and these days, considering what I did, I think that is a bit of a miracle.

Word got around and over the following years, not a Halloween Night has gone by without having a child volunteering to drop and give me a few push-ups, just for fun.

Have a safe and Happy Halloween one and all!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha...that's awesome. Instead of making kids like that do push-ups, my mom makes them sing.

    Actually, Mom just told me the tale of a costumeless kid who took a new strategy. He came by really late, and instead of saying "trick-or-treat," he said, "Yeah, it's obvious no more kids are coming around. Can I have the leftovers?"

    ReplyDelete