Saturday, October 9, 2010

Thanks!

So this is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and millions of us will take time to ponder what we are thankful for in our lives.  The cliché thing to do in a blog would be to list all that the author is thankful for and add it to the pile of thousands of other blogs that will do the same...and since I LOVE a good cliché...
I am thankful for my daughter.  I have said this to everyone who would listen...she is the best thing that my name has ever been associated with.  It really is just that simple. You are my own little miracle. 
I’m thankful for my family.  I know I don’t see you all that often but you are in my heart.  There have (and always will be) some tough times to go through...but one thing will never change.  I love you.
I’m thankful for my friends.  Unlike my family, you people all have a choice as to whether or not you want to see me...and for some unknown reason you still want to hang out.  You have been with me through some pretty terrible times...propped me up when I needed it... kicked me in the ass when I REALLY needed it...come to my defence and shared in my triumphs.  My hope is that I have/can be the friend to you that you have been to me.  I lost one of you this year and it made me think that I need to do a better job of not only staying in touch with you all but just being a better friend in general. 
  I’m thankful for my Caniacs.  I still think about my visit to Raleigh, NC to watch “our boys” play live, for the first time cheering on the HOME team.  You all welcomed me with open arms.  Visiting on line is one thing... but when we had a chance to meet face to face after close to ten years...well you made me feel like I was one of the gang who had been to every game like the rest of you.  A more generous, welcoming group of people I will never find.
I’m thankful for the Bodnar family... who while on that trip to Raleigh arranged for my meeting with my hockey hero Ron Francis.  It was the thrill of my life and I look at those pictures with a lot of joy and a little lump in my throat.  A wonderful, surreal dream comes true that I will remember for the rest of my days.  Most amazing of all of that is that you didn’t know me from Adam, but heard that I was a huge fan and went to work arranging it for me.  Thank you just doesn’t seem like enough.
And I am VERY thankful for you, Carolyn.  (I know I am gonna get shit for this being “over the top” but it has to be said.) There is not a single part or aspect about you that I don’t give thanks for every single day since we got together over three years ago.  No matter where you are in the world, or how long we are apart... I NEVER feel alone with you in my life. You are the perfect example of what can be achieved in life with hard work, integrity and desire.  You’re the most beautiful, caring, intelligent, thoughtful, loving person I have ever had the good fortune of meeting.  What you see in me, I will never know or understand...but I am very thankful that you see it and want to be a part of my life.  I love you Pixie...with all my heart. 
I could go on about all that I am thankful for (there is so much... really I am one lucky dude)... but I won’t. 
Here’s wishing you all the very best this Thanksgiving... and beyond.

1 comment:

  1. Well written sir! It's unfortunate we don't take more days out of the year to look back at and recognize all the things we're thankful for.
    MM

    ReplyDelete