Sunday, March 13, 2011

Perspective is a beautiful thing...

After witnessing on TV Friday and over the weekend the unbelievable destruction in Japan during the Earthquake/Tsunami catastrophe, it was almost impossible to believe there would be any good news at all.
And then this story came to light...
It’s my hope that there will be many more of these types of stories in the coming hours and days; where despite the longest odds, numerous people are discovered alive amid the destruction. 
I have noticed a great deal of comments and notes on the social networking mediums about how folks are praying for the people of Japan, and sending warmest thoughts and wishes of condolences to the people who have been directly affected.
I have two things to say about that.
While it is great that people are taking time to put the victims in their thoughts and prayers...what is needed now more than ever is monetary support to buy food, clothing, medicine and shelter for the thousands that have been displaced.  It is my hope that everyone who is praying for the victims will also take some time to make a donation of some sort to the humanitarian rescue effort that is currently underway. 
There are a number of organizations that have stepped up, both secular and religious in nature.  I made my donation to and would recommend the Red Cross, however feel free to look into an agency you support and believe in and enquire as to whether or not they have set up a relief fund for the victims of the Japanese disaster.  No matter how small... every cent will bring much needed help.
I also wonder how ANYONE who witnessed the devastation could not be directly affected by the incident.  Certainly we may not have family or friends in Japan...but does this not make you take some time to think about your life? 
From the moment this happened, I instantly gained a little perspective about what is important in my life and what I need to “let go of” a little.
This is going to sound corny, but take some time today to hug the ones you love, reach out to the folks you haven’t spoken to in some time, be thankful for the place and the conditions in which you live.
I know I certainly have.

No comments:

Post a Comment