Sunday, August 9, 2015

Capitalism... or just plain Creepy?

It's a VERY lazy Sunday morning and I am scanning my Facebook news feed, when I happen across a group of pictures taken by a friend of mine while he is on an adventure in Dallas, Texas.

Now when I think of Dallas as a huge sports fan, I think of the Cowboys, the Stars, The Mavericks.  Sometimes I think of those Friday nights at 9pm while I was growing up.  I'd be visiting my grandparent's place and my grandma would demand quiet while she watched that famous late night soap and the evil villain that she loved to hate so much; JR.

But this picture made me think of something else that occurred in Dallas. Something I am sure that most people would rather forget.

Courtesy:Tim Day


Now as a Canadian, I can't even begin to comprehend the magnitude of the assassination of the leader of my country, nevermind a man who was as loved (and hated) as much as John F Kennedy. Hell, I can hardly imagine an assassination, period.  But I would think it is safe to say that this is arguably the darkest moment in American political history.  (Again, this comes from a Canadian's point of view. I am certain there are other moments that my American friends would argue otherwise.)

Now you can say what you want about those who believe in the whole conspiracy theory.  Many people blow them off as wackos who are unwilling to face the facts that this WAS a one man job.  People who don't trust anything associated with the government.

And maybe they are.

I've watched Oliver Stone's JFK and was intrigued by what was presented.  Some amazing performances in that flick.  But that is not what I want to talk about here.  My thoughts on the JFK assassination aren't the issue.

This picture is.


Hippocrates said: "Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity."

And clearly, this is someone using opportunity to their advantage.  I am not clear as to WHAT advantage that may be.  If they were selling something, or if this was part of a tour that someone could buy tickets for.  Maybe someone chose to take Hippocrates' words to heart in the healing process.

I can tell you one thing... I looked at this picture this morning and was - for a lack of better terms - disgusted.

A president was killed YARDS AWAY from here... and this sign happily points to the area where one of  the speculated assassins stood to complete the "hit".

What the hell is going on?

This sign reminds me of the signs that are used to direct people to the Town and County Fair's you see in rural communities across North America.  Hell, the only thing missing are the bloody balloons tied to each end! What are "they" thinking?

It is pretty well known that during JFK's time, Dallas was not the friendliest of cities for the President.  So maybe this is what can be expected in this city when it comes to JFK.  Someone, or a group of people trying to take advantage of the man's death, decades after the fact, believing that most people wont look at the sign and feel the way I did.  Believing visitors will be too excited to take a look from the vantage point and won't bother with the kind of thought I have put into a bloody sign.

But whether you were pleased with JFK's death or not (and YES there were those who were happy with it... so knock off your criticism of that last phrase)... another question comes to mind when I see this sign.

Is it really even necessary?

I mean really; this is where a president was assassinated.  Does anyone need reminding EXACTLY where this happened?  If so, please tell me... for what purpose?  To what possible end?

Maybe that sign would be good enough for those people who believed his assassination was necessary for America...(how ANYONE could think it was good for the US is beyond me, but I digress)... but for those who would suggest that they are simply choosing to "remember" the event in such a way so that it is never repeated...I ask you:




   Don't you think this moment in time deserved better than this?

No comments:

Post a Comment